ESOL Program Coordinator
To apply, email résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We need an energetic ESOL Program Coordinator to work with our students to build their English language and literacy skills. We’re looking for someone to grow with us, someone who sees the big picture yet is also detail-oriented. Please note – this position is program management and involves limited teaching.
Student Recruitment and Management – ESOL
· Recruit new students for program
· Conduct student intakes
· Design and recommend educational programming
· Design and staff educational setting to meet student needs
· Match students with appropriate tutor(s)
· Communicate relevant suggestions to tutor(s) regarding students’ needs on an ongoing basis
· Intervene in educational/social process, when necessary, to facilitate ongoing educational progress and attendance
· Measure student progress on a regular basis.
Tutor/Volunteer Recruitment and Management – ESOL
· Recruit a sufficient number of tutors/volunteers to provide services to students
· Develop and conduct training sessions to prepare volunteers for tutoring adult students, teaching them accepted, research methodologies and best practices
· Educate volunteers to sensitivity issues involved in teaching adult students
· Provide on-going support for tutors, including individual consultations and in-service trainings
· Develop and implement community-building strategies within tutor groups
· Ensure tutors complete necessary paperwork
Supervision of Assigned Staff
· Orient and train assigned staff in methodology and best practices in adult literacy, orient staff as to protocol, procedure, outcome goals, cooperative work principles and logistics of office
· Provide on-going supervision of projects, ensuring that projects are completed correctly and on time
· Meet with students to determine their personal, educational and work-related goals
· Help students set short and long-term goals, and develop a pathway to meet these goals
· Set up tracking to measure progress toward these goals
Program development and expansion
· Identify new strategies and methodologies to expand or enhance current programs
· Develop complementary projects and activities
· Ensure that data is entered into system accurately and in a timely manner
· Analyze data collected and prepare reports for agency and grantors
· Actively build relationships with representatives of relevant agencies and organizations
· Inform the public and other related agencies and organizations about the problem of low literacy, its remediation and the availability of OL services
· Ability to communicate thoroughly and with self-confidence internally and externally. Comfort with public speaking. Comfort communicating with people from all walks of life.
Excellent written, verbal and digital communication skills
Relationship and Team Building
Engaging and collaborative workstyle
Experience working in a nonprofit setting
Strong technology skills
· Knowledge of the Orange County/Research Triangle community is preferred
Problem-Solving and Growth
Ability to complete duties with limited supervision
Willingness to learn and grow
Comfort and facility with technology, including an eagerness to learn new technologies
Creativity in developing new ideas and methods for more effectively serve the needs of students, volunteers and donors
Planning and Organization
Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to follow-through on multiple simultaneous projects; experience with project management duties.
Willingness and ability to do a variety of tasks, including routine organization and data management.
· Cultural sensitivity, as well as a commitment to the organizational mission is essential.
· Interest in learning about issues of illiteracy and how Orange Literacy fits into individual and community solutions.
· Willingness to accept accountability for assigned activities and adapt work style to perform independently or within a team.
· Ability to recognize strengths and weaknesses in self and others and seek assistance to improve performance.
This is a full-time position. Benefits include healthcare, retirement and generous vacation, sick and holiday leave. We offer a flexible hybrid in-person/remote schedule.
We actively encourage diverse candidates to apply. Orange Literacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, genetic information, or veteran status.