Program Assistant –
Orange Literacy Digital Navigator/ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
Who we are, what we do
Orange Literacy is a community-based, volunteer-dependent non-profit that provides instruction to adults needing help with reading, writing, basic math, digital literacy skills, English language skills or who need to study for the GED. We work with those who, for whatever reason, need help to improve their literacy and English language skills in order to meet personal and professional goals.
We believe that all people deserve the opportunity to master the literacy skills necessary to become life-long learners, to help their children thrive in school, to qualify for better jobs and promotions and to be active participants in the community.
We need an energetic Digital Navigator/ESOL Program Assistant to work with our students to build their digital and English language skills. We’re looking for someone to grow with us, someone who sees the big picture yet is also detail-oriented. Please note – this position is program management and involves limited teaching.
Work with ESOL Program Coordinator and other team members to:
Identify students who would benefit from targeted instruction in the use of digital technology.
Assess students using Northstar Digital Literacy Assessment tools.
Manage digital literacy class(es) – some teaching may be involved.
Work with students to secure materials and tools.
Attend monthly NC Community College led grant meetings.
Collect and analyze program data, report on program.
Work with ESOL Program Coordinator to:
· Recruit potential students
· Recruit and train volunteer tutors
· Evaluate educational needs of students
· Match students with tutors and classes
· Provide ongoing support and educational program recommendations
· Assist with Tutor Training Workshops, In-Service Workshops, and other special events and in preparing related materials.
Attend trainings, conferences and outreach events as requested.
· Ability to communicate thoroughly and with self-confidence internally and externally. Comfort with public speaking. Comfort communicating with people from all walks of life.
Excellent written, verbal and digital communication skills
Relationship and Team Building
Engaging and collaborative workstyle
Experience working in a nonprofit setting
Strong technology skills
· Knowledge of the Orange County/Research Triangle community is preferred
Problem-Solving and Growth
Ability to complete duties with limited supervision
Willingness to learn and grow
Comfort and facility with technology, including an eagerness to learn new technologies
Creativity in developing new ideas and methods for more effectively serve the needs of students, volunteers and donors
Planning and Organization
Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to follow-through on multiple simultaneous projects; experience with project management duties.
Willingness and ability to do a variety of tasks, including routine organization and data management.
· Cultural sensitivity, as well as a commitment to the organizational mission is essential.
· Interest in learning about issues of illiteracy and how Orange Literacy fits into individual and community solutions.
· Willingness to accept accountability for assigned activities and adapt work style to perform independently or within a team.
· Ability to recognize strengths and weaknesses in self and others and seek assistance to improve performance.
This is a full-time position. Benefits include healthcare, retirement and generous vacation, sick and holiday leave. We offer a flexible hybrid in-person/remote schedule.
We actively encourage diverse candidates to apply. Orange Literacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, genetic information, or veteran status.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 14, 2022. No phone calls please.